Really eager to know about the Wild West? Then you will have to peek into the history because Wild West is mainly defined by both its period and place. So it was the place under the area of United States to the west of Mississippi river. In addition, it was the period in the latter half of nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. But the fact is that why this Wild West became so wild during that period. Yes to know about more interesting things, you will have to read the full article. Don’t miss it out.
Actually the time was sometime before the break out of a civil war, which is known as Manifest Destiny. It was promoted by the US Government, the idea was of a movement to claim and settle the lands westward. So now the expansion was into the west was not that easy to undertake and the pioneers behind it really faced a lot of hardships for only one thing that the movement was not at all a peaceful one. The settlers actually forced their way to the pacific by driving the Native Americans away from their lands.
Interesting and Fun Facts about the Wild West and the Cowboys
So the culture that mainly led in such a violent and harsh environment led to violence. A break down in law and a regular struggle for survival. So the fight between the natives and the settlers ultimately resulted in Indian Wars with a heavy loss of lives and so in this dangerous situation, people took the law in their hand and picked up arms as a weapon of self-defense. Now here we will be discussing about some facts related to the cowboys of the then period that you all hardly know about. Just have a look at them.
1. Wagons were a very important part of this movement. Actually, the settlers travelled to the westward by these wagons. It was a long and hard journey that people used to make at that time but many died in the way. So it is the place where the wagon trail came from which we see in the Hollywood movies.
2. Actually, the cowboys during that time used to live in a different lifestyle, which was mostly similar to the Spanish style of ranching. The cowboy’s duty was to follow the herd of cattle by travelling by the horse back and to manage and care the cattles to drive them back to the slaughter house.
3. These cowboys used to live away from home for a long time. So they lived a very rough life camping under the sky.
4. They used to feed themselves on diet of beans, dried meat and coffee, which is brewed in a ‘billy can’ over the fire.
5. So it was a very hard life and even some lonely ones, which really gave birth of some beautiful songs and stories that are still popular nowadays.
6. Cowboys carried guns just to protect themselves and not to kill anyone. They also kept it for protecting the herd from wolves and cougars.
7. The famous Stetson hat that we know was actually worn because it also served as a drinking water container for both the cowboy and his horse. It also protected them from harsh sunlight.
So the lives of the cowboys were always full of adventures and yes, it was also to rough. If anyone thinks that this life is really rocking then you all will be making the mistake because these cowboys really suffered a lot and they worked hard for themselves. But yes, we agree that they were really brave.